Lessons From Three Unknown Judge
1. Ibzan (v8)
– Ibzan’s name. The name Ibzan means splendid.
– Ibzan’s home.(v.8) He is from Bethlehem which means house of bread. Micah 5:2; Lk.2:4; Jn.6:35
– Ibzan’s kids.(v.9) The emphasis is on family. from a Biblical perspective Kids are a blessing. Notice the word “abroad” This is a word picture of the Church embracing others.
– Ibzan’s tenure as Judge.(v.9) Ibzan is the 9th Judge of Israel & he ruled for 7years.
– Ibzan’s death.(v.10)
– What can we learn from Ibzan? Inclusion.
2. Elon (v11)
– Elon is the 10th judge. His name means mighty. Jerem.32:18,19 Zephaniah 3:17; Psalm 24:8; Psalm 50:1; Psalm 93:4; Psalm 150:2 Isa.9:6
– Elon’s tenure as Judge. (v.11)
– Elon’s identity.(v.12) He was known as the Zebulonite. (v.11,12)
– What are you known for?
– What can we learn from Elon? Identification.
3. Abdon (v13)
– Abdon was the 11th judge.
– Abdon’s name. The name Abdon literally means Servitude or service.
– Abdon’s tenure as Judge.(v.13) He judged Israel for 8years.
– Abdon’s family.v.14) He had 40 sons. He had 30 grandsons. The KJV says nephews but it is literally grandsons.
– Abdon’s wealth. (v.14) Donkeys symbolize wealth & prosperity.
– We can’t be more concerned with our financial wealth than our Spiritual health?
– What’s more profitable? Your soul or your wallet?
– Abdon’s death. (v.15)
– What can we learn from Abdon? Invitation.
Ibzan — Jesus is Splendid in Worship.
Elon — Jesus is Strong in Warfare.
Abdon — Jesus is to be Shared in Witness.
Pastor/Teacher Troy L. Garner
“Jesus Is Exalted & The Word Is Explained!”